Jonathan W Engle
Position title: Associate Professor
Phone: +1 608 263 5805 (Lab)
B1303 WIMR Cyclotron Laboratory
1111 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53705
Jonathan W. Engle is an assistant professor and cyclotron jockey in the departments of Medical Physics and Radiology at the University of Wisconsin. He has >15 years’ experience in radionuclide production, accelerator targetry and radiochemistry, as an analytical and preparative radiochemist in clinical and pre-clinical positron emission tomography (PET) scanning environments, in the construction of automated radiochemistry modules for routine and novel syntheses, and bringing PET radiotracer production facilities from bare slab to routine production and research activities. He has degrees in Religion, Education, and Physics.
From 2012 – 2016 he was employed at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) by the US Department of Energy, Office of Science’s Isotope Production Program. With Brookhaven National Lab and international collaborators, the Program supplies the world with Sr-82 for Rb-82 cardiac PET and Ge-68 for PET scanner calibration and for Ge-68/Ga-68 generator production. His research contributed to a national supply of the alpha-therapy isotope Ac-225, to nuclear databases and theoretical models in the 100-800 MeV (incident H+) range, and to novel, large-scale production of many other radionuclides for medical research, neutrino mass measurements, environmental research, national security, nuclear nonproliferation and stockpile stewardship.
In 2016 Dr. Engle accepted a position as an assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, in the Departments of Medical Physics and Radiology, where he leads the Cyclotron Research Group. His efforts are focused on radiometals production and novel small accelerator targetry, particularly for the production of positron and Auger electron emitting radionuclides like Zr-89, Cu-64, As-72, Y-86, Br-77, Ga-68, Co-55, and Sc-44, among others. In 2016, he received a Department of Energy Early Career Award for research in spallation neutron radionuclide production.
- Ferreira C A, Hernandez R, Yang Y, Valdovinos H F, Engle J W, Cai W (2018). ImmunoPET of CD146 in a murine hindlimb ischemia model. Molecular Pharmaceutics, submitted.
- Engle J W (2017). The Production of 225Ac. Current Radiopharmaceuticals. In press, January 2018.
- Ehlerding E, Carolina F, Aluicio-Sarduy E, Dawei J, Liang H-J, Theuer C, Engle J W, Cai W (2018). 86/90Y-based theranostics targeting angiogenesis in a murine breast cancer model. Molecular Pharmaceutics, submitted.
- Aluicio-Sarduy E, Ellison P A, Barnhart T E, Cai W, Nickles R J, Engle J W (2018). PET Radiometals for Antibody Labeling. Current Radiopharmaceuticals. https://doi.org/10.1002/jlcr.3607.
- Mosby M, Birnbaum E R, Nortier F M, Engle J W (2017). Cross sections for proton-induced reactions on natSb up to 68 MeV. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B, 412, 34-40. DOI: 10.1016/j.nimb.2017.08.038.
- Hermanne A, Ignatyuk A V, Capote R, Carlson B V, Engle J W, Kellet M A, Kibédi T, Kim G, Kondev F G, Hussain M, Lebeda O, Luca A, Nagai Y, Naik H, Nichols A L, Nortier F M, Suranarayana S V, Takács S, Tárkányi F T, Verpelli M (2018). Reference Cross Sections for Charged-particle Monitor Reactions. Nuclear Data Sheets, 18, 338-382.
- Shen S, Jiang D, Cheng L, Chao Y, Nie K, Dong Z, Kutyreff C J, Engle J W, Huang P, Cai W, Liu Z (2017). Renal-clearable ultra-small coordination polymer nanodots for chelator-free 64Cu labeling and imaging-guided enhanced radiotherapy of cancer. ACS Nano, 11, 9103-9111.
- Graves S A, Valdovinos H F, Barnhart T E, Ellison P A, Engle J W, Nickles R J (2017). Half life of 51Mn. Physical Review C, 96, 014613.
- Radchenko V, Engle J W, Medvedev D, Maassen J, Naranjo C, Unc G, Meyer C, Mastren T, Brugh M, Mausner L, Cutler C, Birnbaum E R, John K D, Nortier F M, Fassbender M E (2017). Proton induced production and radiochemical isolation of 44Ti from scandium metal targets for 44Ti/44Sc generator development. Nuclear Medicine Biology, 50, 25-32.
- Ferrier M G, Stein B W, Batista E R, Berg J M, Engle J W, John K D, Kozimor S A, Lezama-Pacheco J S, Redman L N (2017). Synthesis and characterization of the actinium aquo ion. ACS Cent Sci, 3(3), 176-185.
- Fieser M E, Ferrier M G, Su J, Batista E, Engle J W, Evans W J, Pacheco L, Kozimor S A, Olson A C, Wagner G L, Vitova T, Yang P (2016). Evaluating the electronic structure of formal LnII ions in LnII(C5H4SiMe3)31- complexes using XANES spectroscopy and DFT calculations. Chemical Science, 8, 6076.
- Mosby M, Engle J W, Jackman K R, Nortier F M, Birnbaum E R (2016). Determination of spallation neutron flux through spectral adjustment techniques. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, 412, 34-40.
- Griswold J R, Medvedev, D G, Engle J W, Copping R, Fitzsimmons J M, Radchenko V, Cooley J C, Fassbender M E, Denton D L, Murphy K E, Owens A C, Birnbaum E R, John K D, Nortier F M, Stracener D W, Heilbronn L H, Mausner L F, Mirzadeh S. (2016). Large scale accelerator production of 225Ac: Effective cross sections for 78-192 MeV protons incident on 232Th targets. Applied Radiation Isotopes. 118, 366-374.
- Radchenko V R, Engle J W, Wilson J J, Maassen J R, Nortier F M, Birnbaum E R, Kohn K D, Fassbender M E (2016). Formation cross-sections and chromatographic separation of protactinium isotopes formed in proton-irradiated thorium metal. Radiochimica Acta, 104(5) 291.
- Engle J W, Mashnik S G, Parker L A, Jackman K R, Bitteker L B, Ullmann J L, Gulley M S, Pillai C, John K D, Birnbaum E R, and Nortier F M (2016). Nuclear excitation functions from 40-200 MeV proton irradiation of terbium. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B, 366(1), 206-216.
- Croce M P, Rabin M W, Mocko V, Kunde G J, Birnbaum E R, Bond E M, Engle J W, Hoover A S, Nortier F M, Pollington A D, Taylor W A, Weisse-Bernstein N R, Hays-Wehle J P, Schmidt D R, Swetz D S, Ullom J N, Barnhart T E, Nickles R J (2015). Development of holmium-163 electron-capture spectroscopy with transition-edge sensors. Journal of Low Temperature Detectors, 184(3-4), 958-968.
- Mocko V, Taylor W A, Nortier F M, Engle J W, Barnhart T E, Nickles R J, Pollington A D, Kunde G J, Rabin M W, Birnbaum E R (2015). Isolation of 163Ho from dysprosium target material by HPLC for neutrino mass measurements. Radiochimica Acta, 103(8), 565-576.
- Wilson J J, Ferrier M, Radchenko V, Maassen J R, Engle J W, Batista E R, Martin R L, John K D, Birnbaum E R (2015). Evaluation of nitrogen-rich macrycyclic ligands for the chelation of therapeutic bismuth radioisotopes. Nuclear Medicine and Biology, 42(5), 428-438.
- Radchenko V, Engle J W, Wilson J J, Maassen J R, Nortier F M, Taylor W A, Birnbaum E R, Hudston L A, John K D and Fassbender M E (2015). Application of ion exchange and extraction chromatography to the separation of actinium from proton-irradiated thorium metal for analytical purposes. Journal of Chromatography A, 1380, 55-63.